Wednesday, November 20, 2013

What I eat

It's my day off with K today. I've already cleaned the bathroom, showered, fed K, thrown in laundry and started cleaning the kitchen. Ha. We have a lot planned for today. We're starting out the morning by bringing breakfast and coffee to Elise and Eva. I love being able to go visit them on her maternity leave. It can be kind of lonely so having friends to pop in make all the difference. Then it's K's 4 month appt today - I can't wait to see how big he's measuring. I'm not looking forward to his shots though. Poor kiddo. After his appointment we have pest control coming to spray for spiders - they tend to come inside when it gets cold out. And finally I have a few new recipes I mention at the bottom of this post that I need to get groceries for. Whew.

Tuesdays run was pretty good. I decided to run outside because the temps were supposed to be in the low 40s. I decided to wear my capris instead of my full running leggings. Brrrr. I am not hardcore enough for that. It was really windy so I was chilly. The thing about a cold run is that it makes you run faster. Running faster means not only are you warmer, but you'll be back inside SOONER.


Workout: Outdoor Run
Distance: 4 miles
Time/Pace: I don't know. When I run outside I typically run "naked" - meaning I run without a watch. I ran the first mile at whatever felt comfortable as I warmed up (literally) and got into the groove of the run. The next two plus miles I kicked up my pace and made sure that I didn't feel "comfortable" and was breathing heavier. Then for the last 3/4 of a mile I kicked it up as fast as I could without getting a side ache. I felt good and I know I had a good pace. I can tell that I worked my leg muscles and I'm a little sore. Run success!

So let's talk about food a little bit. I burn a lot of calories. Feeding K burns about 500 calories every day and my workouts typically burn between 300 - 500 calories on the days I work out. I eat pretty healthily. That doesn't mean I'm on a diet - because I'm NOT. I just don't like to put things into my body that aren't good for it. Things like aspartame, excessive sugar, caffeine, and artificial packaged stuff. I like to eat foods that are good for me so I might skip that chocolate cake, and instead have two servings of chicken. Ha. BORING. But it's true. Food is fuel. That doesn't mean I don't have a stash of Halloween candy at my desk that I break into every single day. Sugar is good. It tastes good and it's a good pick me up. I just like to eat it in moderation. Because I'm burning so many calories right now I need lots of snacks available to me. I can't eat dairy right now because K isn't processing dairy well. This has limited the kinds of snacks, meals and desserts I can have. I eat a lot of fruit - apples are in season right now. I eat granola bars and hummus with pretzels and/or carrots. I've been going to Breadsmith to get their cinnamon buns and their brownies. They are a kosher bakery and they don't use dairy. SCORE! Plus their stuff tastes amazing! 

I've been making banana oat muffins a lot lately. I think they taste really good and they are pretty dang healthy too. I made some modifications to the original recipe to sub in some wheat flour and to use applesauce instead of oil. If you make them I am sure they'll be a hit. I'll post the recipe at the end of this post. 

I got my Cooking Light magazine in the mail this week. I LOVE getting easy recipes out of that magazine. Here are a few I'm planning to make this week - I'll try to post pictures as we make them. 
- Chickpea and Sausage Minestrone
- Lamb and Red Pepper Pita Sandwiches - with brown rice on the side
- Cuban Pork Shoulder with Beans and Rice (slow cooker recipe)

And without further ado - here are the muffins. 


Banana Oat Muffins - makes 12 muffins: 
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour - you can use all white flour if you don't have wheat flour
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup milk - I use almond milk 
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil - I use applesauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup mashed bananas - use a really ripe banana
Directions
1.     Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt.
2.     In a large bowl, beat the egg lightly. Stir in the milk, oil, and vanilla. Add the mashed banana, and combine thoroughly. Stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture until just combined. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper bake cups, and divide the batter among them.

3.     Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 18 to 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment